Saturday, July 4, 2009

God Bless America...


I've decided that Boston is THE best place to be for July 4th!! Everything here is so over the top and amazing.

Our day started off to a very sad start. My sister-in-law's mother passed away this morning after a very difficult struggle with cancer. The 4th of July is my sis-in-law's favorite holiday and she told my brother that she knew her mom would pass on this holiday. As I was sitting along the Charles River tonight watching the beautiful and celebratory fireworks explode against the black sky I was brought to tears remembering and celebrating not only our country, but also the beautiful life that Kathie Sutherland lived and the fantastic legacy that she left behind in her 3 children and grandchildren.

I have found myself brought to tears many times today. I'm not quite sure why. I think that it's just the overwhelming knowledge of what our country has gone through to have and maintain its freedom. I think it's the overwhelming memories that I'm making with my best friend. I think it's the fact that I'm learning to not take life for granted. There are so many amazing and beautiful things and people in this word.

It was breathtaking standing in front of the Old State House watching a general from one of the oldest artillery companies in the United States read the Declaration of Independence off of the same balcony that John Adams read it in 1776. It was simply beautiful standing in Charlestown watching "Old Ironsides" shoot her 21 one gun/canon salute. And it was unforgettable standing with over 1 million people singing "God Bless America" as I watched one of the most beautiful and awe-inspiring fireworks displays that I've ever seen.

Today's total mileage walked: 11 miles

Today's bum quote of the day: We were sitting on some park benches resting our feet when all of a sudden we heard a screeching voice singing, "Dude looks like a lady!" I turned around and it was some crazy bum. Every so often he would just sing this one line out as people walked by him!

Today's blessing: Sitting along the Charles River eating a Stars and Stripes
Dunkin' Donut with my best friend waiting for the fireworks to start.

2 comments: