Sunday, July 12, 2009

Learning a little about history...

After thinking back on today, I've decided that I need to learn more about the history of our country when I get back home. I didn't much care for history when I was in high school. I thought it was pretty boring. I've learned so much while we've been here in Boston about the history of our country, and I've also learned how little I know about the men and women that gave their blood, sweat, and tears so that I could have my freedoms. Today we took the train into Quincy, Massachusetts, named after the grandfather of Abigail Adams. We took a 2 hour tour of the house where the 2nd President, John Adams was born. We also took a tour of where the 6th President, John Quincy Adams was born. AND we took a tour of the mansion and the library that the Adams family owned. I saw the chair that John Adams had a stroke in and a few
days later died in. We toured the church where John, Abigail, John Quincy, and his wife Louisa Catherine Adams where all buried. They are buried in a granite crypt that sits underneath the church. I touched the flag that flew above the White House when John Adams was President in 1791-1801!! It was all so amazing and fascinating to see!

After we got back from Quincy, we walked around so I could get more pictures of the doors of Beacon Hill and then I took a little nap. After my nap, we walked up to the Boston Common, which is kind of like Central Park. We walked around the Common for awhile and did a little people watching. I got some roasted nuts that I'd been wanting since we got here. Then we stopped off at a little pub that's up the street from our place called 21st Amendment. We shared a BIG plate of nachos.

We had a fabulous day today and are thoroughly enjoying our last few days here.

Today's total mileage: 4 miles
Today's blessing: Seeing the birth place and burial place of one of America's greatest leader!

2 comments:

  1. Agh this makes me SOO jealous! I want to see that SO BAD! Jer and I have decided that we're going to save for the next 7 years and go to Boston on our 15th anniversary. I know it seems like forever, but it's nice knowing we have a plan to go. We actually started an envelope with $30 in it so far! YEAH! Can't wait for you to come home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought of you the entire day and how much you would have loved it. I think that's a fabulous idea! Maybe I'll have to help add to the fund every once and awhile :)

    ReplyDelete